Re: 3 Questions

From: Peter Ajamian (peter@pajamian.dhs.org)
Date: 01/28/01

"Daniel A. Koepke" wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Kras Kresh wrote:
>
> > When running the mud using autorun, why doesn't it do the purgeplay
> > for idle players, deleted players, and never entered game players?
>
> Because it would have to run it each and every time the mud rebooted,
> which is way more than necessary.  In addition, you might want to undelete
> a player inbetween reboots.  If you want to run it every so often, see the
> man pages for crontab.

NOT a good idea.  This can (and most likely will) result in purgeplay
being run while the MUD is running which is explicitly warned against by
the automaint script itself.  If you want to run maintenance on a
regular basis automatically then you'll need to modify the MUD so it
touches a file that autorun can see then shuts down on the interval when
you want to run maintenance.  You'll then need to modify autorun so it
sees this file and runs maintenance if the MUD terminates and the file
is present.  I've posted a more detailed explanation of this before,
search the archives.

> > Why does my compiler not allow me to declare variables in the middle of the
> > function?
>
> Because ANSI C doesn't allow variables to be declared in the middle of the
> function.  ISO C99 (which replaces ANSI C) does, but most compilers don't
> support the new standard fully, yet.  If you're using a recent version of
> gcc, you can enable the partial C99 support by giving it the option:
> -std=c99.  See http://gcc.gnu.org/ for more on the status of C99 support
> within gcc.

Why bother when all you have to do is declare your variables at the
beginning of the function?  It keeps things way more portable that way.
*Wonders why people have to insist on breaking thier programs
portability by doing stupid things such as declaring variables in the
middle of functions, using C++ style // comments, voiding main, etc,
etc, etc, and yes, it is stupid, because it's so easily avoidable.*

Regards, Peter