Re: 3 Questions

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/30/01

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Peter Ajamian wrote:

>Oh give me a break, that argument makes absolutely no sense at all.
>While I can see lots of reasons to avoid breaking a standard, why on
>earth would anyone want to avoid adhering to one?

The same reason the Linux kernel doesn't do Path MTU Black Hole Discovery
detection even though an IETF draft RFC says it is "required." Because
sometimes the standard is dumb.  In Linux's case, it's because PMTUBHD is
both hard to get right without breaking other connectivity and because it
encourages people to stupidly block all ICMP traffic.  In our case, it's
because 0-ok, !0-(fail|special) makes perfect sense but some other
operating systems muck that up.  The NULL pointer is defined to always be 0
no matter what the hardware deems it to be, why couldn't they have done the
same thing (and much easier to do too) for exit codes? That and they made
the #define name exceedingly long for the replacement.  In our case, 0=ok,
1=fail, nothing else special. Maybe in the future 2=db-load-failure but
that's not right now but available.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org