How does the fight system work?

From: Alex Mann (alex4501@hotmail.com)
Date: 03/07/01

Hi

This is a question i have been trying to answer myself but i was wondering
if anyone out there new.

If you have 2 players one warrior and one cleric
you give them exactly the same armor and weapons
and don't use any spells or skills of any type.

what determins which will win?

Does the players stat i.e str dex etc come into play
when determining the outcome of each round of the fight.

Also is there any random considerations which would allow
a level 2 cleric to hit a level 15 warrior occasionally out
of fluke, but the outcome is of course going to be that the
warrior would win!

The reason i am asking these questions is for my quest to improve the fight
system. My goal is to have a fight system which takes into consideration a
large number of factors not just the weapons and ac of the players. I wish
to include the players stats, luck and situation etc.

I also wish to make weapons level specific but not restrictive. I.e I want
all players of all levels to be able to use and wield all wepaons.  BUT....
They won't be able to use them effectively until they reach a required
level. This could be in the form of an object stat, or simply some code in
fight.c which checks  the players level against the dam of the weapon before
calculating the fight stuff and then calculating bassed on the result( My
preffered method )

If anyone can explain the fight system or answer some of my questions about
it i would be gratefull.

thanks

Alex
naryanworld.orisis.net 4445