Re: Passing by reference

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 03/13/01

> Is passing by reference even possible on circle?
> I have a recursive function that needs to increment a memory location for
> each call that does something.
> I was successful in making it work by adding a global variable.
> But, I'm wondering how I can pass by reference because I can't seem to be
> able to.
> Passing by reference will make much more sense just in case of a screwup
> somewhere in the code. It doesn't make much sense to leave this variable
> lying around useless.

        Uhm.. Passing by reference is a feature of the language you use to
write code.  Circle is written in C, which does support that.

        If you're going to increment a 'memory location' for each call to
some function, somewhere, you can probably find an easier way to do it.
Why don't you just use a static variable inside the function?

        Perhaps you should explain in less general terms exactly what
you're trying to do (ie, post code/pseudo-code).

                                                PjD