Re: Distribution pack?

From: Chris Maniar (rafo@kulthea.stacken.kth.se)
Date: 03/13/01

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, dave mquackquadart wrote:

> You're twisting my words.  I said that the phrase 'by circle hackers for
> circle hackers' or whatever was a bs elite'est mentality, and it was.  I

I don't think it is unreasonable or elitist to expect that someone who
wants to code a CircleMUD to have experience with the C language. If
someone wants to use CircleMUD as a tool for learning C, fine, but they
shouldn't expect help on the C language from this list.

> think that the idea that if a coder doesn't have mastery over a patch he
> shouldn't be provided support when he encounters problems is compassionless.

Just to make it clear - someone who provides a patch has no obligation to
also provide support for it. Now... if you have a problem with the patch
or with something implemented by the patch, then thats a valid reason for
asking the list for help. What is not a valid reason is if you're having a
problem because you have never learnt C or you don't know a particular
fundamental concept of the language. I'd say that most of us aren't here
to answer newbie questions about coding (note: I did not say questions
about CircleMUD itself), we're here to discuss topics such as design
methods, idea proposals, and approaches on how to go about coding certain
things.

As Patrick said, patches are there as a time saver. Snippets are there to
teach us about how to code stuff for CircleMUD. What I have a problem with
is people putting in patches and snippets, not knowing anything about C,
asking the list about a "parse error", and then opening up a MUD with
"major modifications".