zedit bug

From: Cam Peter (merc_ca@yahoo.com)
Date: 04/29/01

Howdy all,

A while ago I made some extensive changes to zedit,
mainly involving item limits (I'd put item limits into
the item file, and thus removed them from the zone
file).  This is the last change I made to the zedit
function.  I'm using circle bpl17 Oasis2.0 running on
Win98 (I know, I know).

Since then (I guess), objects loaded to the ground
with the O zone command have a tendency to wander.
That is, they will work fine for 1, or 15, or 100 zone
resets, and then both the command and the item will
change to another room.  So item 1900 loading in room
1914 will suddenly change to loading in room 1720.
There is absolutely no pattern that I can discern,
except it only happens to items loaded to the ground,
never mobs.  Also, it has nothing to do with
vnum/rnum...I spent long hours looking at that
already.

The time at which it happens also seems to be without
pattern, although generally speaking the migration
occurs on reboots/crashes, but again - not always.
I've torn apart the zedit save_internal, save_to_disk,
and the loading functions, and I'm satisfied that it
has nothing to do with these.

I've been wrestling with this for more than a month
now, on and off, and I'm totally stumped.  If anyone's
seen anything like this, PLEASE contact me either on
the list or privately.  I'll happily supply any code,
but didn't include any with this post as I don't have
any idea in which function the bug resides.

I found this comment in zedit.c:
*snip*
     This fix prevents such
     * commands from being saved and 'wandering'
     through the zone command
     * list looking for mobs/objects to latch onto.
     * C.Raehl 4/27/99
     */

Perhaps related?  I couldn't see a correlation, but
the terminology struck a chord.

Anyway, I'm grasping at straws here.  Thanks for any
and all theories/ideas/guesses/shots in the dark.

Cam Peter

=====
Out of doubt, out of dark to the days rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode, and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!