Re: 16 bit platform bug and binary compatibility issues

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/04/01

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, George Greer wrote:

> I'm rather fond of using all int32-style variables.  Then you're not
> surprised by premature rollover and aren't wasteful.

It's probably a good idea for CM4, at least.  I don't imagine me/us having
the time or the inclination to go through and do it for 3.x.  Well, with a
sed script and 'for', it could be automated, but I imagine that there are
some points in the code that would need actual auditing of any decision to
be made.  That would mandate looking at them on a case-by-case basis.
Bleh.

In fact, it'd probably be more of a hassle than it's worth for any
moderately large code base, unless you really need to maintain the legacy
stuff and don't have adequate resources to begin anew.  With hobby work
and code that, if it weren't for excellent maintainence by Jeremy and then
you (with the assistance of a fair-sized, ever-more-rambunctuous
community), probably should've been pushing up the daisies a few years
ago, it's hard to see a low ratio of work to benefit from such a move.

--
Daniel A. Koepke (dak), dkoepke@circlemud.org
Caveat emptor: I say what I mean and mean what I say.  Listen well.