Re: [Help needed / Bug] Single Logins

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 06/05/01

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Griffin Hernandez wrote:

> Hello, I think i did something to my mud to make it only let one
> person log in at a time. It lags out everyone else that trys to log
> in. If anyone has had this problem before and knows how to fix it can
> you please contact me?

Unfortunately, there's no, "Lag out everyone but the first person that
logs in," setting in CircleMUD, so it's not going to be quite that simple.
No, I'm afraid you'll need to provide a description of what you did just
before the problem reared its ugly head.  It simply won't suffice to
provide us with a description of the symptoms, as there are, without
exaggeration, an infinite number of things you can do that would cause
this.

I can venture guesses at what you might have done to cause your problem:

(1) Are you calling a blocking function or using a long loop?
(2) Have you fudged the descriptor_list linked list?
(3) Have you fudged the read/write/exceptional sets for select()?

  In general, you shouldn't be playing around in comm.c unless you know
  enough about socket programming, multiplexing servers, and the
  CircleMUD implementation of all of the above to know that you're going
  to break something with your tinkering.  Ideally, you should also be
  skilled enough, then, to know how to fix what you've broken.

If all else fails, come back with useful information (both a more thorough
description of the symptom and some clue as to what you did just before
the problem was observed; as well as what platform you're running on), and
I (or someone else) will try to give a more helpful response.

ObCrystalBall:

I'm thinking about starting a class-action suit against the various
companies within the crystal ball industry.  It would seem that every time
I have needed one, it has just recently broken down and been returned to
the shop for maintainence.  It would appear others are having the same
problem with their crystal balls.  Clearly, this level of unreliability is
unacceptable.  If we work together, we can get a huge settlement, 90% of
which will go to the lawyers, the remaining 10% of which will be split up
among the 1000 claimants, who will each get a small sum of money, the
majority of which will go towards taxes, bills, and gas prices, leaving us
a combined $0.15 USD for the year-and-a-half of headaches it'll take us to
even get the suit together.  What do you think?

--
Daniel A. Koepke (dak), dkoepke@circlemud.org
Caveat emptor: I say what I mean and mean what I say.  Listen well.