[QUESTION][CODE] Skill/Spell Choosing: Tree Structure

From: Edward Felch (dustlos@hotmail.com)
Date: 06/16/01

Hey all, I really hate to ask the list what is fundamentally a C structure
question, but it has its roots in a cool idea for Circlemud and I'd like
some input on it and some pointers if possible!

Currently on my MUD I have it set up so if a person has 2000 out of 18000
skill points in any skill, they can use that spell or skill just so you
know.

Now, here is my idea: To make a class (adventurer class) that can mix and
match skills and spells based upon a tree structure of skills, it would be
like a tech. tree found in real time strategy games but with the
skills/spells of different classes.

Example:
        Beginning--------
       /  |     \        \
     Hide Kick Magic M.   Cure L.
    /   |
  Sneak Steal
Etc...

Where Hide, Kick, Magic missle, Cure light wounds would be the only skills
with level 1...

Could someone please give me a bit of advice in creating this tree, and then
on how to feed this information into it (The spell_level stuff in class.c
would seem like a good base, checking each one and their level to build this
tree?).

Another favorable option would be to create the tree manually, I believe
this would a better solution because the spells/skills could be managed
better as well as how/what paths could be determined.

Example of this:
Both bless and cure light are 1st level spells, if the player takes cure
light, they could learn another curing type spell the next time they choose
a spell (or bless), but they couldn't choose another affect spell that would
come after bless...

  Cure Light Wounds       Bless
Cure Crit    Cure Blind   Sanc  Fly

Thank you for reading and maybe considering helping, I hope this can come
true even though it seems complex (at least to me)... :)