[Newbie] Questions for those who have replaced ascii/binary save/load with a database engine.

From: Jarratt Davis (nitewulf@bigpond.com)
Date: 06/30/01

Hi folks, I'm currently debating how far I will want to go with replacing
library loading, player saving and loading etc. with a database engine.
1) Did you completely replace the in-memory linked lists as well the the
data saved to or loaded from disk, (which would make more sense to me) or
did you just use it to replace the ascii/binary save/load systems?
2) If your answer was 'yes', how much of an effect did it have on the speed
of your MUD?
3) Again if your answer was 'yes', how exactly did you structure it.  For
example would you have the item/NPC/Shop/Room databases only used as
read-only (templates for each particular area within the MUD), and have a
game session database that kept track of changes happening while people
played - which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Obviously for players it doesnt matter so much so the in-game database and
the saved information database can be the same database ie. all changes
that happen to a player while playing can happen to their information saved
in the player database...

Heheheh.  If Im not making a lot of sense to you, please forgive me as Im
pretty much over-tired.  I know what I want to ask, but am not sure Im
explaining myself very well...

Thanks very much for your time!