Re: [NEWBIE] shutdown/reboot of mud

From: Mike Stilson (mike@c746148-a.ehlls1.pa.home.com)
Date: 07/31/01

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 03:35:27PM -0700, Peter Ajamian wrote:
>Dwight Durmon wrote:
>>
>> I have two questions, both of which relate to each other...
>>
>> 1.  Is there a way to gracefully shut down CircleMud without having an
>> Immortal or other god log in?
>
>The easiest way is to use a cron job to shut the MUD down.  The harder

Something like this would be relatively easy...
RETSIGTYPE killit(int sig)
{
        log("Time to go nighty-night.");
        circle_shutdown = 1;
}

my_signal(SIG_USR2, killit);

Then from a cron job,
kill -USR2 `pidof circle`

Lets it exit gracefully.  You could also throw in something to
force everyone to save, then send_to_all("Time's up. Bye.");

-mike