Re: New rules for CircleMUD?

From: Mike Breuer (mbreuer@NEW.RR.COM)
Date: 08/15/01

George Greer wrote:

>Have you tried both 2nd and 3rd edition in Pen & Paper?

I admit that I haven't tried 3rd, but I've played every edition up through
2nd (even the old "Basic" system where one of the classes was "Elf").

>I have, and I'll never go back to 2nd edition unless it's a computer game
>(Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale) where I can blissfully ignore many of the
>flaws in the system. Since I'm actually writing on CircleMUD and not just
>playing it, I don't have the luxury of ignore the stupidities.

I certainly don't want to defend the existing system, since I didn't write
it, and there are many aspects of it that I dislike.  Instead, let me
enumerate the elements I would like to see in a new system.  Keep in mind
that I'm still talking about a core system here, not what someone might
eventually do with it for a specific implementation:

1. The system should be easy for newbie players to grasp.
2. An interchangable system for stats/skills/spells.
3. It should be trivial (within reason) to add/remove stats/skills/etc.
4. Same system for players and mobiles.

Beyond that, call this a wish list of things that I would like to see.  I
don't have the time or $$ to invest in 3rd edition D&D right now, so I'm
not sure how this list maps to the idea of using those rules:

1. Races implemented
2. Non-humanoid races
3. Resistance instead of saving throws
4. Percentage-based stats
5. Ability to change stats with time/age/practice
6. A less-rigid class structure, or failing that a better balance of power
between classes.
7. Anything I think of after I push the send button.  :-)

Mike