ASCII Pfiles, benefits?

From: halitus (halitus@myrealbox.com)
Date: 08/17/01

Hi,
    I've been hacking in a few code snippets and such for the past week and
I've begun to see how the mud is working.  I've noticed that in lots of
snippets people talk about using ascii pfiles, and I was wondering exactally
what is the benefit of having ascii pfiles?  I would guess that it would add
the ability to edit the file by hand, which could be useful.  Is there
something more than this, and also is there any sort of snippet or doc or
howto that would help me in converting my pfiles to ascii if I should see
the need?

Thanks.