Re: License issues, MySQL

From: Artovil (artovil@arcanerealms.org)
Date: 08/29/01

At 12:31 2001-08-29 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Artovil wrote:
>
> >For instance, would this code be considered written by me, and without any
> >trace of GPL code?  All it has is the API function calls.
>
>License law has the idea of an "interface."  You're not considered
>including that code in your program so long as you stick to the public
>function calls.
>
>What exactly is an "interface" gets rather sticky though.  For example,
>using a system-call doesn't subject you to the license of the kernel.
>However, using the interface to a GPL library does subject the user to the
>GPL.

Excuse me if I come out as totally ignorant, but law is not my strong side,
but the way I see it means that I can include the public function calls to
the API in my code and send this out to the CircleMUD FTP site as long as I
do not include anything from the MySQL C API source itself, correct?

I can detail exactly how to put in the include for the header files into
the code, but I may not include the actual header files themselves,
right?  This would also include how to make the linking in the Makefile, right?

Regards,
/Artovil