Re: Segmentation fault

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 09/14/01

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Gerald Richter wrote:

>Linux 7.1.... Not valid linux version (linux it's self is only up to
>version 2.4.x)... Are you referring to RedHat/SuSE/etc releases? Because
>those distros have screwed up compiler chains and libs. This is how
>circle exits _normally_ on my updated RedHat 7.1 server. The code works
>fine on my Slackware 8.0 server without segfaulting. Identical kernel and
>lib versions.

That is a typical symptom of random memory corruption.  The differing
compiler and/or library can cause subtle changes in what gets trashed.  It
could also just be the compiler miscompiling your code but that's not
likely unless you're pushing its capabilities.

Try '-lefence' or 'MALLOC_CHECK_=1 bin/circle'

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org