Segmentation error in oedit parse(after implementation of races)

From: Mielikki (mielikki@exilemud.com)
Date: 09/29/01

Ok...I have downloaded circle30bpl19dgolc from the ftp site and managed
to get it to compile cleanly after putting in the races. However, when I
go to create a character, the mud crashes after selection of race. After
many hours of reading I finally managed, through sheer persistence, to
get cygwin gdb to give me an answer, of a sort. Can someone please tell
me how this could be where the segmentation error is when I never even
touched this file? I realize of course that another one might be
pointing at it but quite frankly I am at a loss as to what. I think I
fried a brain cell or two looking at the gdb documents.

Here is the gdb output:
0x0048b57b in oedit_parse (d=0x48e56b0, arg=0x268fa7c "1") at
oedit.c:627

And here is the function that the problem is said to be in.

void oedit_parse(struct descriptor_data *d, char *arg)
{
  int number, max_val, min_val;
  char *oldtext = NULL;

  switch (OLC_MODE(d)) {        <---[line 627]

  case OEDIT_CONFIRM_SAVESTRING:
    switch (*arg) {
    case 'y':
    case 'Y':
      SEND_TO_Q("Saving object to memory.\r\n", d);
      oedit_save_internally(d);
      sprintf(buf, "OLC: %s edits obj %d", GET_NAME(d->character),
OLC_NUM(d));
      mudlog(buf, CMP, MAX(LVL_BUILDER, GET_INVIS_LEV(d->character)),
TRUE);
      /* Fall through. */
    case 'n':
    case 'N':
      cleanup_olc(d, CLEANUP_ALL);
      return;
    default:
      SEND_TO_Q("Invalid choice!\r\n", d);
      SEND_TO_Q("Do you wish to save this object internally?\r\n", d);
      return;
    }

I will, of course, continue to search the archives and look over what I
have before but it would be nice to know if this is something way over
the head of a newbie like myself.

AJ