Rare bug: OLC + goto = crash

From: Artovil (artovil@arcanerealms.org)
Date: 10/08/01

Hello,

A player enters redit OLC in a room.  Somebody uses goto to their room,
then gotos that person again, and then out, and back, in some order.  When
the player in redit closes down the editor the person who used goto is gone
from the room, and sometimes, cannot see chars other than the person who
used the editor, not in any fashion, not with goto, not with who, not with
where, nothing.  Then somebody uses goto to his character, and
boom.  Segmentation fault.  We have averted the crash once, by making the
person who disappeared (I disappeared for him as well, was totally
invisible) goto another room and then come back.

I am going out on a limb here, but I have had one bug haunt me for almost a
year now.  It is impossible to recreate in any way, it just happens when I
least expect it.  I have tried having a debugger attached, but nothing
works.  It is a ghost in my system, if you pardon the cliche.

I know that the MUD can dump core files, but mine does not, perhaps I could
trace it that way?  Not that it would help me, since it is generally really
hard to make it happen.  But I think it has something to do with how the
characters are removed, then inserted into the room as OLC updates the
room.  Or could it have something to do with act?  Or a combination?  Or is
it the goto command?  Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Kind Regards,
Torgny Bjers
Arcane Realms MUD