Re: [NEWBIE]MY MUD WONT RUN!?!

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 01/07/02

> >         Also, if you're trying to connect via IP
> > address, you may have to
> > insure that your ISP allows inbound connections on
> > that port.  After the
> > recent problems with windows IIS virii and the sort,
> > many ISPs are
> > blocking many ports.
> >
> and how can I check if they are? to see if they are
> blocking ports? got ideas?

        Personally, I'd write something to listen for a conection at that
port, and something to create a connection to that port.  I'd test it from
external networks.

        You may have to do with just hoping it's not blocked, and trying
it.  If it doesn't work, you may call your ISP but;

        1) Most tech support staff are trained monkeys.  They don't know
what ports are.  They may inadverdantly bullshit you (because they believe
they know the answer and are wrong) or they may be bullshitting you on
purpose (because they know they could source the problem, but it'd take
too much effort, and their call volume would go down, thus, job evaulation
goes down, thus, no bonus).
        The only answer you could get from them that would mean anything
is an offical, publically available list of ports which are and are not
blocked.  Someone just telling you it's blocked or not is not enough -
they may not really know.

        2) Most non-commercial ISPs forbid the running of publically
accessable server-type software, including, but not limited to ftp, web,
game servers, irc, and the sort.  Most ISPs have 'hidden' documentation
that they will be happy to find for you if you choose to violate it
unknowingly.  Every ISP has a clause saying they can terminate you for any
reason, especially usage of bandwith.

        Muds are not particuarlly resource or bandwith intensive, but
acknowledging a server may be a bad idea, you'll be placed on a
trouble-customer list at best.

                                ISP dependant, of course.

                                                PjD