Re: error when connecting to mud

From: Jason Pay (jasonpay@tpg.com.au)
Date: 01/22/02

> Hi,
>
> i am trying to run a circlemud into my pc...
>
> i have an adsl connection and a router.
>

> when i try to connect to my mud using the internet connection
> (151blablalba)
> i receive this error...
> syserr: perform_socket_read about to lose connection: no such
> file or directory
>
> when i try to connect to my mud using the 127.0.0.1 or
> 10.0.0.1 all work fine.
>
> i have win xp as os and i have compiled the mud with vc++

(I may not be totaly right, just trying to help)

you say you have a router, (presumably to share one adsl modem connection
between several workstations) - the router has the ip address which is
visable to the internet, your workstation has an ip address which is only
visable to the local LAN. the router sits between your workstation and the
internet recieving and passing packets in and out of your network but to
anything on the internet the routers IP is used and the packets are passed
onto your workstation. effectivly your mud is not available past your
router. the only way to make your system visable to the internet is to plug
your ADSL modem directly into your workstation which is running the mud
server. You should be able to connect to the mud server from another system
on your local lan without a problem but you wont be able to connect from
over the internet to a system on your side of the router.

There is a solution, (altho expensive prolly) contact your service provider
and ask for a range of static ip address's (which they can advertise for
you) and then setup your workstations with these static ip addresses, then
setup your router to forward packets.

Now if you cant connect to the mud server from another system on your local
LAN, then you have another problem, depending on how you have you system
configured. you may have some sort of fire wall software running blocking
port 4000?

hope that gives you an idea of what your problem is.

regs

jp