Re: Open/Closing/Unlocking/Locking Doors/Objects Message to player.

From: Alex (fletchra@qsilver.queensu.ca)
Date: 01/30/02

>     send_to_char("You open the $\r\n", ch);
what is '$' supposed to do here?

>     send_to_char("You close $F\r\n", ch);
you're _starting_ to get the right idea here.  I'd recommend looking
for the text in the game that _tells_ you that the door is closed, and
imitating it.  IIRC, it is an act() call that uses '$F' as a pointer
to the string in question.  The option option is to use the new '%s'
support in stc(), and do something like:
  send_to_charf(ch, "You close the %s\n", first_name(of_string));

Please note:  mailer code.  Duh.

Anyhow, you need to get a _much_ better grasp on stc() and act().

in the new bpl, there's a rather nice document detailing exactly how the
act() function works.  with a one-page 'cheat sheet' if you will.

Ae.