Re: Questions from a newbie

From: Stephen Squires (gicker42@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/03/02

>From: David Mcken <cic_3_b@yahoo.com>
>To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca
>Subject: [CIRCLE] Questions from a newbie
>Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 14:13:05 -0500
>
>I just implemented a sacrifice command into my mud
>and would like some advice about adding levels
>
>what is the THAC0 and saving throw ?
>(i mean that in terms of game play)
>what values should I set them to if my implementor
>is level 100 and gods don't begin until level 75

Thaco is the modifier one gets to their hitroll to hit armor class
0.  If you've got 75 levels for mortals I suggest giving a point of thaco
every 3 or 4 levels or so for a fighter type.

Saving throws are the modifiers one gets when they try to resist
a spell (usually though it can affect other things as well).
Check to see what their current saves are (class.c or magic.c depending
on what version of circle you use). Look for SAVING_SPELLS.  I'd suggest
dividing that number by 2 or 2.5 if you have 75 levels.  Not sure what
you've got right now though.  But follow the general scheme that's shown
in that part of the code.

  Let me know if you need further explanation.

>also I am curious about where I can get a good
>world builder (I am taking care of both building and
>coding).

You're best off posting on the newsgroups and on the mud connector.
Good builders are hard to come by, especially before a mud is open
and has few players.  Most of the builders that you do get probably
won't even finish a zone before they quit.  Post what your mud is
all about and what you plan to do with it, and hope that someone is
interested.  Chances are though you'll have to do most of the building
yourself until you've got a solid playerbase.  Once you've got players
They'll be interested in seeing the mud grow so they can get better
equipment and have new areas to explore, and that's really when you'll
start getting some builders.  Until then, good luck.

Steve Squires