Re: lcrypt for Cygwin

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 02/09/02

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Bejhan Jetha wrote:

>Okay I know that lcrypt is used to encrypt and decrypt the passwords for
>pfiles in circleMUD. I did a pwipe recently and I want to recreate all of
>my builders' characters so if they come on when none of the implementors
>are on they can still build. So I want to use lcrypt to read their old
>pfiles and recreate their characters with the same passwords.
>
>I downloaded the lcrypt source and tried to use it. I know how to encrypt
>passwords with it but I'm not sure how to decrypt them. Can anyone tell me?

You can't decrypt passwords but if you copy the hash from the original
pfile to the new pfile it'll work as you want.  You'll have to make a 'set
rawpasswd'[1] command or something so you can restore the password without
encrypting the encrypted password.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org

1: Or just run without crypt support temporarily, using mudpasswd to fix
   your password so you can log back in. See sysdep.h