Re: [AD?] New Java version of CircleMUD

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 03/28/02

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, George Greer wrote:

> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/

The collector, BTW, is very good.  A simple test allocating 1 million
lightweight objects (wrappers around a native int) and printing their
contents (to avoid GCC seeing the assignment as deadcode and whacking it)
gives:

    C++ (GCC 3.0.3) using Hans-Boehm collector (and std::printf()[1]):

    real    0m2.421s
    user    0m2.400s
    sys     0m0.000s
    memory  1.09MB

    C (GCC 3.0.3) using Hans-Boehm collector:

    real    0m2.241s
    user    0m2.230s
    sys     0m0.000s
    memory  1.09MB

The fastest JVM I have around (Sun's HotSpot Server [J2SE] 1.4.0) is about
13 times slower than C/C++, but that's certainly not a good comparison of
the collectors.  (GIJ, which uses the Hans-Boehm collector, is dog slow
and using GCJ to compile Java natively produced code about 14 times slower
than C/C++, although that it worked at all [let alone so well] was quite
wonderful, if you ask me.)

-dak

[1] In case you're wondering why I didn't use std::cout:

        C++ (using IO streams (std::cout)):

        real    0m34.517s
        user    0m30.370s
        sys     0m4.130s