Re: [Newbie] Help with error?

From: Mike Stilson (mike@velgarian.sytes.net)
Date: 04/08/02

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 03:00:47PM -0400, Joseph O'Loughlin wrote:
>I've been getting this error for awhile now shortly after I log into the mud
>after starting the autorun program. If I am not logged in, the mud does not
>crash and the error does not occur. This error occurs if any player is logged
>in, not just my Imp....
>
>./autorun: line 93: 21917 Segmentation fault    (core dumped) bin/circle
>$fFLAGS $PORT >>syslog 2>&1
>
>Can someone please explain this to me?

It's telling you the mud crashed because of a memory segmentation
violation.  The mud was trying to muck around with memory it shouldn't
be, or was trying to free a null pointer or wrote past the end of a
static array or.....

It also said it left behind a core dump for you to check with gdb to see
where it crashed and what was happening leading up to it.

-me

For future reference, google is your friend.  this took a couple seconds
w/lynx.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22segmentation+fault%22&btnG=Google+Search

  segmentation fault n.

   [Unix]  1. [techspeak] An error in which a running program attempts to
   access memory not allocated to it and core dumps with a segmentation
   violation error. This is often caused by improper usage of
   pointers in the source code, dereferencing a null pointer, or (in C)
   inadvertently using a non-pointer variable as a pointer.

Now if you mean, why is it segfaulting, then you'll have to at least
give us the stack frames from gdb, and some code where it's crashing.