Ansii auto detection

From: Templar Viper (templarviper@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/27/02

Hello,
I have downloaded the auto ansii detection from the developer
site, and took at look at it. It sends an ascii code to the client,
and if it returns the correct response code, the patch assumes
 the client is ascii (and color) capable. However, that the client
suports ascii does not always mean that it supports color too.
The windows telnet client for instance, is detected as ascii
supportive. Although it recognises the ascii character set, it
still doesn't have color.
So, my question is: Is there a way to check if the client is
_really_ capable of displaying colors automaticly? (So not
by querying "do you want color? Y/n")

Any responses are greatly appreciated.