Re: PADDING0

From: Shay (shay@highstyleweb.com)
Date: 05/18/02

At 11:46 AM 5/18/2002 Saturday, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>On Saturday, May 18, 2002 6:19:23 AM Shay wrote:
>> Why not fully switch to an actual database?  Say,
>> MySQL?  I've done so in my Java implementation of
>> Circle and have found it to be quite fast.
>
>  One thing comes to mind right away: portability. Now, CircleMUD runs
>  on  a  wide  variety  of  platforms,  you can't be certain every SQL
>  server  does  so. Since there are C-compilers to just about anything
>  out  there  it  makes  sense  to use parser generator tools for C to
>  manage all the boring work with managing the "databases".

True, true.. all true.  I am unknowledgeable when it comes to the number of platforms Circle will run on.  I'm only interested in Unix and Windows.. not much of a Mac or Amiga guy... ;)  Course, since Mac has finally released a Server, I might have to look in that direction later..  Anyone know what kind of SQL server can run on a mac?  :)

>  As  for  picking,  say,  MySQL - that is a very bad choice since its
>  standard  conformance  to  the SQL standard is very shallow; foreign
>  constraints  are  only supported by one special database type in it,
>  and  there are a lot of other annoying factors about it that doesn't
>  really  fit this list to discuss. :o) Oracle, IBM make very good SQL
>  servers,  and  if  you  want  a free one, try PostgreSQL, but again,
>  their target platforms are limited.

I have to disagree here.  MySQL is plenty good for the needs of Circle.  I'm running an entire game system using MySQL to store everything and have had absolutely no complaints.  I also find it easier to use then Oracle..  And, it will run on Windows and most Unix systems..  but I'll stop there. as you so kindly did.. ;)

-Shay aka the guy with an opinion.. ;P