Re: [NEWBIE] Editor for code?

From: Mike Stilson (mike@velgarian.sytes.net)
Date: 05/26/02

On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 11:06:06AM -0700, Jim wrote:
>I have been
>reading up on the snippets and the info looks pretty straight forward.

If you have a good grasp of programming, the general code of the mud,
and understand what to do with rejects, they are.  Remember, 90% of
patches are vs stock circle, so after the first one, the odds of getting
rejects start increasing really fast.

>My question, which editor is best to use for someone with my "lack" of
>experience? I mostly have used Pico, and it would seem it would work,

For little to medium stuff, I use vi or vim.. it just plain rules.
When I'm doing things that require changes to a bunch of files at once,
there's emacs/xemacs.  It all comes down to personal preference and
experience tho.

>but just want to ensure I start off right. Also, any "pointers" on
>adding snippets, such as any pitfalls/problems that I may avoid etc?
>Any/all help appreciated.

Biggest pointers are: make backups, then make backups of the backups.
Also, version control software of just about any type can be your good
friend, too, whether it's cvs, rcs, bk, or what have you.  Screw up one
file somewhere you can always roll it back to wherever.  Also diff'ing
between a known working version and the patched one can sometimes make a
hard-to-see bug suddenly jump up and point to itself.

-me