[Coding] A small suggestion for future help.

From: Jason Yarber (JasonYarber@hotmail.com)
Date: 06/30/02

I realize that many of us are practically fluent in the C and C++ language.  And that a special few of us(George Greer?) probably talk the language on a daily basis.  But, at the same time, there are those of us who don't have the slightest clue.  And even others who only have a little clue.  You'll probably notice throughout all my posts, and all the stuff that I've uploaded, I've done my best to make things easier for those of us who either don't have a clue, or just barely have one.  And, in keeping with my long standing tradition of help first, help more later, I'm giving you all this web address.  Just so you know, this site is where I got everything I needed to learn C and C++, and lots more.  Now, of course, there are a bunch of things that you can't learn from a book.  Like how to effectively hand patch OasisOLC.  Or get rid of 25,000 compiler errors by changing one line.  Those things take experience, and lots of time.  The strongest suggestion I have for anyone who knows nothing about coding, but wants to run a mud, is first visit the site I put below.  Read some of that.  Then start a mud.  Don't do large patches at first.  Do small patches, then work up.  Eventually, you'll get a better understanding of what's what.  Heck, you could just be the next one to post a fully loaded version of Circle using Install shield wizard, or you may be the one to make spells/races/skills and such olc'd.  The main point here is, running a mud will take a lot of studying and practice.  Along the way, your bound to make a lot of mistakes, and need help.  That is essentially what the circle mud mailing list was created for.  And I'm proud to help anyone who needs it.  I even stretch my limits trying to make my answers clear as day.  So, in conclusion, I'm giving you this web address, in the hopes that it will help at least one person.  If even one person emails me at JasonYarber@hotmail.com and tells me that it helped, I'll know that I did my part in teaching that individual something, and that will make me happy.  So here's the address:

http://www.gorkhali.com/kamal/download.htm

On that site you can find many files that you can download.  Almost all of them are digital copies of a book or tutorial.  It even has the book that I originally learned C from, "Sam's Teach Yourself C in 24 hours".  As I said, I hope this helps someone.  And I'm sorry about the length of this post.  I just couldn't put what I wanted to say into fewer words, while still allowing you to understand what I was trying to say.