Re: Windows / Linux Based Installs

From: The Fungi (fungi@yuggoth.org)
Date: 07/02/02

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:01:05AM -0700, Mythran wrote:
> The installer wouldn't JUST be for Windows.  There can be one for Linux
> also, but I can see why you wouldn't use it.

I've got something similar for my Debian packages. Installs the
files to various system locations, creates a user and group to run
under, chown/chmod all files appropriately, display the license and
prompt for (dis)agreement, ask for default implementor account info
and TCP port, create a config file for autorun, install SysV-style
start/stop script, use expect to log in and create the implementor
account immediately when the mud runs with no players file present,
et cetera. Of course it relies on debconf for all the menus and dpkg
handles tracking binaries, configs, docs, whatever for clean removal
or upgrade.

And on a related topic I built a new version last night that shrinks
minimud to just one zone, so now it only includes the files for zone
0 when you build the binary packages and puts all other zone files
in the arch-independent circlemud-world package. I can post a
snippet on how to do this, but really it just involves adding a
new safe_start_room variable and in the check for mortal_start_room
set it to safe_start_room when you find it doesn't exist. I used 3
for my failsafe so if only zone 0 exists everybody loads in room 3.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);