Re: Circle Start At Boot

From: The Fungi (fungi@yuggoth.org)
Date: 07/05/02

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:57:20AM -0700, Mythran wrote:
> Anyone have their mud start at boot?  I would like my mud to start at the boot of the server.  Using one of the account names (not root), how would I go about doing this?
>
> Oh yeah, RedHat Linux 7.2.

My Debian packages install this way. I patch the source to generate
a pidfile, have a SysV-style start/stop script launch autorun as
user/group circlemud and make sure all necessary files are
read/write for the circlemud user.

I go a little farther putting the world and player data under
/var/lib/circlemud/, the pidfile and restart flags in
/var/run/circlemud/, the logs in /var/log/circlemud/, the editable
text files like motd and a startup config file in /etc/circlemud/,
the executables in /usr/bin/, and the documentation in
/usr/share/doc/circlemud/ (all to meet Debian policy WRT file
locations).

And to keep from spending any time imp-less immediately after
installation, the initscript uses expect to initialize the
implementor account based on values in circlemud.conf if it detects
you started the MUD with an empty (or nonexistant) playerfile.

I've been meaning to write a brief snippet on how to accomplish this
for a few weeks. Perhaps I'll get to it over the weekend.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);