Re: Redundant validity check in stock code.

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 07/25/02

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Thomas Arp wrote:

> You'll want to keep the size_t. As the docs state, snprintf returns
> the amount of characters written, which is always >= 0.

Pre-standard implementations of snprintf(3) (i.e., glibc 2.0.6's) return
-1 to indicate the output was truncated.  Since we don't want to restrict
CircleMUD to C99 conformant compilers, we don't want to use rely on the
return value always being non-negative.

At best, size_t causes an unnecessary unsigned cast; at worst, it breaks
compatability.  Thus, we definitely want to change it.

-dak