Re: Graphical Bar Code?

From: Leonardo Herrera (leus@epublish.cl)
Date: 07/26/02

Daniel A. Koepke wrote:
[...]
> Outside of that, I'm not convinced the bars, as pretty as they are, have
> any real worth.  Displaying 10 separate bars on the screen to report the
> character's health or an event countdown would probably be more
> distracting than useful; worse, it might even be terribly boring visual
> clutter.

In some cases they can useful, with some extras.

        Mana:      [####------] ( 80/200)
        Hitpoints: [#######---] ( 72/100)
        Movement:  [##########] (235/240)

Here, the bars are merely a visual aid. It's more a matter of taste; in
this example, the bars aren't really necessary, but they help to check
if some indicator is low.

In combat, an hp bar can be useful, too:

        <[#########](200/200)>kill bird
        You hit the bird hard.
        The small bird OBLITERATES you with her deadly slash!

        <[#--------]( 18/200)>flee
        <[#--------]( 18/200)>flee

OTOH, A feature of this kind belongs more to certain types of MUD (H&S)
than to a RPG oriented one, IMHO. Just my two cents and a bunch of acronyms.

Regards,
--
Leonardo Herrera L.
mailto:leus@epublish.cl