Re: Graphical Bar Code?

From: Leonardo Herrera (leus@epublish.cl)
Date: 07/29/02

Daniel A. Koepke wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Leonardo Herrera wrote:
>>In combat, an hp bar can be useful, too:
> The problem with this is that they're harder to read when there's lots of
> bars displayed on the screen at the same time.  The principal advantage of
[...]

Sorry, I meant a single bar, not many.

>>OTOH, A feature of this kind belongs more to certain types of MUD (H&S)
>>than to a RPG oriented one, IMHO.
>
> Would you elaborate on that?  I can't fathom why a seemingly innocuous
> interface element, like a meter, would belong more to one type of game
> than the other.

I have seen some MUDs that don't use numbers at all, or at least not
visibly. They don't say "you have 10 hps of 30", but "You are hurt",
same for mana, same for movement. In these cases, this kind of things
-ie, any kind of indicator- seems out of place, at least for me.

Regards,
--
Leonardo Herrera L.
mailto:leus@epublish.cl