Re: [Newbie] [Code] Room Flags MSVC 6

From: The Fungi (fungi@yuggoth.org)
Date: 10/10/02

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 11:48:19AM -0400, Carlton Colter wrote:
> Just curious do you know how many bits linux has and how many bits Unix
> (sun) has for int??

They both depend on the CPU architecture. For example, I can make my
(ultrasparc enterprise dual) debian/linux-sparc64 autobuilder have
64-bit wide ints. Or I could be running Solaris on a supersparc
which is only a 32-bit wide architecture. Linux on Itanium or Alpha
processors get 64. Solaris on an ultrasparc should get 64, but it
depends on your compiler and environment settings. Linux on 32-bit
x86 processors (IA32) only get 32-bit wide ints. I could go on, but
I shan't. Point is, if you want to compile and run exclusively on
64-bit hardware, fine, but if you code for 32-bit ints you're
portable across most hardware architectures.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);