Re: efence locates problem in asciipfiles basecode (diskio.c)

From: Mathew Earle Reuther (graymere@zipcon.net)
Date: 10/21/02

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, The Fungi wrote:
> I do have versions updated for bpl22 (as previously noted it says
> cvs2002100407 for continuity's sake but really is bpl22):
>
> able to reproduce the specific bugs you cited. Perhaps if you give
> me a walkthrough of exactly which commands you issue from the moment
> you connect to the game for the first time after compile and run
> till the crash happens so I can be certain.

It requires running under efence to create these bugs.  Not under efence
it will not die until later on in my code, and I don't think your stock
patches will crash at all.  (At least they never did until I stuck them
under efence . . . which is why I never even thought twice about
developing from them.)

I usually can get it to die when you log in a character, or are booting up
after a shutdown when you have a few players in the index.  Essentially
start with nothing, make an implementor, log him out and back in, if that
doesn't crash it, create a mortal, log him out and back in (by out and
back in, I mean quite the entire came and then re-telnet) . . . then, if
that fails, shut the mud down and boot it back up.

The only other thing I can think of is the fact that on the redhat system
I'm running on, my configure did not properly make the conf.h file, so I
manually did it from the output of the configure command . . . I am pretty
positive that I did everything correctly, however . . . it's not that hard
to follow the output of configure after all.

I appreciate anyone who takes a look at this.  I'm praying that there is
actually a problem somewhere . . . if there isn't, I'm a far worse coder
than I feared. *sigh*

-Mathew