Re: [NEWBIE] making a proper diff

From: The Fungi (fungi@yuggoth.org)
Date: 10/21/02

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:30:53PM -0700, Mathew Earle Reuther wrote:
> Ok, I'm trying to compare all the source files in my original basecode to
> the sourcefiles from the latest bpl with dg/olc/etc that Fungi upkeeps.  I
> need to know WHAT exactly is different between them, because I think it
> may hold they key to all my problems.

A wise choice. I keep all my custom work as patches to pristine.

> But I get a 3 MEG diff file when I do this:

Your src/ is probably full of object files. I would suggest deleting
Makefile, conf.h and all the *.o files. Not sure, but 'make clean'
will probably do all that for you.

> diff -BNprus circle30bpl22/src basecode/src > diff.patch

You might not need -s for this. Just extra spam.

> Uh.  What the heck?!  I mean, the lines with a ton of ***** on them at the
> beginning of the files get removed and then added back.  Please, that's
> ridiculous.  What in the heck am I doing wrong?!

You should probably add -w so it ignores whitespace differences, or
at least -b. It's entirely possible that you've swapped tabs for
spaces or run some sort of code beautifier (GNU indent perhaps?) on
your source files.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);