Rectangular Map

From: David Cole (tiznor@softhome.net)
Date: 11/24/02

Hello all,

I'm very curious about the ASCII Overland Mapping in some games, I've looked
into the snippets on the FTP dealing with this, but they where not very
informative. Not to say they are not good snippets, they are, but there
mapping is square, and not rectangular which is what I'm looking into doing.

So my question is this:
How does the overland mapping work? I know somehow the room sectors are
assigned to a array like map[a][b], but then after that, how does it get
printed properly to a 78x12 rectangle? This is something I want to
understand, if only someone could take the time to explain it? :)

(No reading of files, just assign a char to a sector type for the map is my
intentions once I understand this.)
Thanks,
Dave