Re: Serial/PW Generation

From: Ronald Fenner (abbadon@mac.com)
Date: 11/29/02

On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 09:16  PM, Tseran wrote:

> I am looking to set up a system where with 3 pieces of information
> (Character name, race as a number, date of expire) can be turned into a
> password, and then turned back into the information.  However, I have
> no idea where to start with this.  What I am looking to do is setup a
> system where certain races are restricted, but with the proper
> password, given by an immortal, you can choose a restricted race.  With
> the expiration date, you can set it so that the player must make the
> character by a certain date, and with a certain name.  Basically, the
> player enters the password, and it checks: is the name the same? is the
> password expired?  If it passes, it gets the race from the password and
> sets it.

well heres a method which assumes that your player has a character
created to log in and they are going to get to recreate it when you
give them the password or such.

since they have the character created you could set a flag specifying
that the character go through the log in process again with the
restricted classes only if the data stored in the file is still valid.

actually even if the character isn't created you could still create a
new character for them storing basic info like name a password and date
and the flag set.

as far as password goes you really don't need to give them one unless
the character doesn't exist.

obviously you just create a command that takes the name the date and
maybe even a password to and it takes care of the rest.

hope this helps

Ron