Re: Unified account with many characters

From: Jeremy M. (jkm4802@hotmail.com)
Date: 12/08/02

> > ---= In Regards to: =---
"I have been sketching on a system for our CircleMUD which will allow
players to have one login account with multiple characters.  I thought I'd
run this by the list since I am having some problems with actually planning
the system code-wise, and perhaps somebody has done something like this
before, and perhaps they even have code tidbits to share."

--* Snip! *---
The first thing I thought of when I began reading your post was, why would
anyone really want to do that? What are the advantages? Doesn't Circle
handle players well enough? Why reinvent the wheel again?
I've also seen these types of systems implemented and even now I can't help
but wonder to myself, why bother..  I've had my interests tantalized by the
topic because I get bored and don't mind throwing in code when I'm like
that. :P  Can anyone answer any of the above stated questions? I've either
got blinders on to the benefits, or there really aren't any benefits to
adding that system.

---- RE: Torgny (sorry if I mispelled your name)
** for the sake of a huge arse email I am not adding the reply **

however have a few concerns, one being of course the forementioned concern
in your reply about players merely using multiple email addresses. The
problem I would see with that is that if you disallow certain email
addresses like for instance "hotmail", you'd be cutting into your player
base. Not everyone has their own "real" email address although I certainly
do, but keep it reserved for private and god willing no spam use. However,
like I said, I was intrigued by the idea and you've all (including the other
respondees) made a few good points, and have certainly given the rest of us
a fuller picture. Good luck with it, my only hope is that you guys and gals
developing it go against the building fad of using mySQL as your cure all.
:)

If there is anything I can do to help, you know where I live.

Riodan, inhabitant of the lands of spherical bog stuff.