Re: [Code] MAX_SOCK_BUF

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 02/25/03

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Russell Ryan wrote:

>Is MAX_SOCK_BUF arbitrary? can I change it? b/c I have some very elaborate
>builders and am running into troubles going over the limit when colorcodes
>are processed etc..

It was not meant to be arbitrary but it's now exceedingly low for modern
systems.  It's supposed to represent the size of your operating system's
maximum socket buffer, or more correctly, the maximum amount CircleMUD is
guaranteed to be able to write to a socket when your operating system says
the socket is available for writing from select().  On Linux this can be at
least 1/2 of /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default, up to 1/2 of
/proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max.

Since the process_output() changes in late, late 3.0bpl series, I think it
is now arbitrary.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org