Re: Combat message blocking

From: C Smith (brafox@u.washington.edu)
Date: 04/06/94

On Wed, 6 Apr 1994, Jeff Teker Fink wrote:

> > Hmm..... just had a though prompted by a post to r.g.m.d.  Come to
> > think of it, there's at least one mud that I know of that already
> > does this...    People with slow connections tend to die in combat,
> > right?  (read 'die' as 'suffer terrible amounts of lag').  So how
> > difficult would it be to create a player-setable flag that
> > determines whether said player will see the combat messages from
> > other people fighting in the same room?  Haven't thought it through
> > yet.... any particular drawbacks any of ye can think of?
>
> How would they know who to assist/rescue and how would they know if an
> aggressive mobile attacked someone in their group?
>
> -Jeff

 Ah, this seems to be one of those client vs. mud debates.  Should the
mud be responsible for sending shorter phrases to the person who plays @
2400 or should the person get a client?  I think the simplest sollution
is for the player to just get a client like tintin and substitute the
long battle statements into shorter ones, as suggested in the tintin
documentation.  This also solves the problem because triggers can be set
and be executed even before the players sees the outcome @2400 baud.

--
   |   |    Curtis Smith            "We should develop anti-satellite weapons
___|_0_|___ University of Washington because we could not have prevailed with-
  -U^o^U-   brafox@u.washington.edu  out them in 'Red Storm Rising'." D. Quayle