Re: Combat message blocking

From: Simran R. Kumar (srk4@po.CWRU.Edu)
Date: 04/06/94

>> Hmm..... just had a though prompted by a post to r.g.m.d.  Come to
>> think of it, there's at least one mud that I know of that already
>> does this...    People with slow connections tend to die in combat,
>> right?  (read 'die' as 'suffer terrible amounts of lag').  So how
>> difficult would it be to create a player-setable flag that
>> determines whether said player will see the combat messages from
>> other people fighting in the same room?  Haven't thought it through
>> yet.... any particular drawbacks any of ye can think of?
>
>How would they know who to assist/rescue and how would they know if an
>aggressive mobile attacked someone in their group?
>
>-Jeff

Personally, I think the best way would be to have something like this:

The Terminator MASSACRES you 4 times with his hits.
The Terminator ANNIHILATES you 2 times with his hits.
The Terminator misses you 2 times with his hits.
You DESTROY the Terminator 3 times with your hits.
You miss the terminator 2 times with your hits.

This would be great for our MUD, since players and mobs have multiple
attacks, and the above would require 13 lines for one round of combat (not
tomention additional lines for spells, spec_procs, etc).  The above way
cuts this down to only 5 lines - a great lag killer.

I haven't done the code for it yet (haven't even thought about it,
actually), so any one have any ideas about how I could/should do this?

Ace
AbsolutMUD(b63740.cwru.edu 4000)

--

We are notes in the music, searching for remembered rhyme....