Re: Jeremy, how do you feel? (fwd)

From: Harold Marks (samadams@brahms.udel.edu)
Date: 08/24/94

On Wed, 24 Aug 1994, Jeff Teker Fink wrote:

> Harold Marks <samadams@brahms.udel.edu> writes:
> > 	Recently, I recieved an offer of a site to run my modified circle
> > 2.2 on.  This particular site is a commercial internet access provider.
> > They have a system that they offer sites to some muds knowing that a 20
> > person limit will be put on the game at any particular time.  In order to
> > get on after the 20 person limit is filled, you must either wait for
> > someone to get off, or pay a fee to the internet provider to gain
> > access.  I used to play a DikuMUD at crl.com that had a similar
> > situation, and I did not think the DikuMUD creators had a problem with
> > this.  But in order to protect me and the provider, would the above
> > situation break any part of your license?  And/or would you have a
> > problem with a modified Circle going up under these conditions?
>
> This is a violation of the original DikuMUD license.  Under no circumstances
> may a provider make a profit using the Diku code.  It's the same thing as
> the TSR debate on rgmd.  Whether or not the provider is charging for the
> MUD, they're still using the code to gain a profit.
>
> -Jeff

This is not the answer I wanted to here, and to me it doesn't make any
sense.  It is not forcing the players to pay for an account, it is the
same as just putting a 20 person limit on because of lack of ram or
something.  In fact the license is hurting poor site-less Implementors
like me.  Oh jeeze, this legal stuff makes me sick, I just want to put up
a mud and have my players enjoy it, but because of all this stupid legal
red tape I am once again probably site-less.  *sigh*