Re: Auto-advance

From: VampLestat (vamp@csulb.edu)
Date: 10/19/94

On Wed, 19 Oct 1994, Mud Administrator wrote:

> I personally feel that there shouldn't be an auto-advance for 2 reasons:
> 	1) No auto-advance makes the intrepid adventurers come back to
> 	   town every once in a while (which I kinda like)

This, IMO, would be a "good thing".

> 	2) With auto-advance, there is no reason to have +int/dex/wis/con
> 	   items, as it's kinda hard to put all the stuff on during a
> 	   so that your character can get the maximum amount of gain.
> 	   This also makes a item that raises you wisdom a few points worth
> 	   a lot more monitarily, so it has a good effect on the economy
> 	   of the MUD.

I dont really agree with this part.  It makes people much more likely to
use +int/wis/con items and this tends to inflate the stats of all the
characters on the mud by quite a bit.  It also tends to reduce the
differences between characters, as the orignial, random stats are less of
an influence.

Just voicing my opinion on the issue.

Ryan L. Watkins                             e-mail: vamp@csulb.edu
System Administrator                        url   : http://www.csulb.edu/~vamp/
Academic Computing Services, CSU Long Beach pgpkey: finger vamp@beach.csulb.edu
Darkside Consulting        -   Unix  /  Windows  /  Mac  /  Internet  /  Design