Re: ObjSave.C

From: Mathue Moyer (mmoyer@sdcc10.UCSD.EDU)
Date: 11/15/94

>	Ok, here's a newbie question.  The only reason I am asking is
>because my 'C' book doesn't describe this.  Some of my players are losing
>their eq because we have two imps under two accounts that run the autorun
>and the privs are sometimes wrong. Ok, I found in the code where it opens
>the files for access, but I do not know what the 'b' flag is, is it
>'both'? read and write? and does this access leave teh file privs
>permanatly chnaged?  This is causing a major problem for us, a code fix
>is totally neccessary.

The 'b' stands for binary, as I recall.  As for the permissions on the file...
I'm no expert on the matter, but I believe that any file that the game modifies
will have its permissions set by the game.  There are two solutions I can think
of.  The first would be for each of you to put appropriate  umask  lines in
your '.login's setting it so all new files are created with global read
permission.  However, a more secure solution (if you can arrange it) would be
to have the administrator of your machine create a group for the two of you.
Then you would give read and write permissions on all relevant files just to
'owner' and 'group'.  If your not familiar with setting file permissions, or
using umask, I'm sure somebody on the list can fill in any gaps after you've
read the man pages (look for  umask  and  chmod).

--
-Mathue Moyer
-mathue@ucsd.edu