Re: slip?

From: Kilkenny (gjerde@plains.nodak.edu)
Date: 06/20/95

On Mon, 19 Jun 1995, Steve wrote:
> I may not be using a 28.8k, (only 14.4k CSLIP) but it is horrendously
> laggy for 1 player, non-locally, let alone when 2 or 3 people come in to
> test it it is NASTY. I will be buying a 28.8k modem soon to 1. try out
> how much nicer 2x the bandwith is but i doubt it would still be very
> comfortable...

Hmm.. I've been using a 14.4k modem CSLIP, and testing circle.  I had up
to 5 people non-locally, And none of the said anything about lag.

> If thats 20MB of ram then yes of course it will run nicely, but if you've
> got like 4 megs of ram and 16megs of swap file then your gonna be laggin
> whenever your players type <look>...

I'm on a 486SX with 4Mb ram and 5 Mb swap.. And I had no problems as long
as I don't run anything else big in the background or on a different session.

*  Ole Gjerde                                   | Computer Science major  *
*  aka Kilkenny                                 |    at  North Dakota     *
*                                               |    State University     *
*  Email: gjerde@plains.NoDak.edu               |-------------------------*
*         gjerde@winternet.com                  |   Proud user of Linux   *