Re: Access for coders

From: Stefan Rensing (rensing@uhura.biologie.uni-freiburg.de)
Date: 07/19/95

> >    and write for the owner (only). This happens at work, I would suggest
> >    adding statements to the end of your autorun script to the effect of
> >    'chmod g+w etc/players' and all other files..
>
> Even easier. If you run under csh, just set UMASK in your .cshrc
> to create files that are group writeable. I forget the exact setting,
> but I think UMASK is a mask (as the name implies) so something like
>
> setenv UMASK 0113 should create files with -rw-rw-r-- permissions.

However, usage of umask generally is a security problem. I would at
least omit the world r.
Quite an easy and secure solution is to make a script for setting up
permissions for all the directories necessary using chmod (e.g. chmod
g+rw if you have set up group access and your files are created as
rw------- as I'd suggest).

-Stefan.

--
Stefan A. Rensing             Institute of Biology II/III - Schaenzlestr. 1
The SysOp Biologist         D-79104 Germany, FON: +49 761 203-2676 / FAX: 2675