Re: quick question.

From: Herbert Kremser (kremser@flinux.tu-graz.ac.at)
Date: 07/31/95

On Sun, 30 Jul 1995, mud admin staff wrote:

>  >   if (GET_ROOM_SPEC(ch->in_room) != NULL)
>  > couldn't the same thing be accomplished with this? :
>  >   if (GET_ROOM_SPEC(ch->in_room))
>
> yes on most systems, but I have come across documentation that swore that NULL
> is not aways == 0.  Who ever coded the first like Probably had read some of it
> also.

no, it is the same on _every_ ANSI-C Compiler, and on any other known
C-Compilers too.
Maybe you just have missread these documentations. NULL must be 0, but
NULL needn't to be "binary" 0.

>  > I've noticed statements like the first one in lots of places in the circle
>  > code.   Wouldn't the program be slightly smaller with the second statment?
>
> If you ever look at the assembly out put of most good compilers they catch it
> right away... and use them as the equivaltent.  GCC only does with the -O flag
> or better. (Linux version that I can be soure of)

Nonsense. =)
You really get the same assembly output with both versions.

Actually it's just a question of coding style. Some people want to make sure
everybody notices the type of a variable on the first look, so they write
NULL whenever possible, to show it's a pointer.

All you can achieve is a few bits less of source code.  :)

Personally i use the shorter form too, because it seems better readable
to me, but thats only my personal point of view, which is not shared by
too many people.

Herbert

[on public request 12 lines of signature deleted]  *snip* ;)