Re: relatively simple hack to lookup login-names (fwd)

From: d. hall (dhall@sunspot.tiac.net)
Date: 12/17/95

ð thus on Sun, 17 Dec 1995 20:39:52 -0500 (EST), John virtually scripted...

>> p thus on Sun, 17 Dec 1995 17:40:17 -0500, Pink virtually scripted...

I'm starting to think... my "ISO" character isn't liked by
newservers... I'l have to prefix it with a = from now on, then. =P

Pink> idname = ident_id (desc, 5); /* this attempts to get the username */

Pink> Just curious, will this statement bring the mud to a halt until it
Pink> has connected to the remote host and acquired the username?

John> Yes, this is termed a blocking function and it will bring the mud to
John> a screeching halt til it returns a value. It's only really annoying
John> if you have a lot of players logging on after a reboot. For this
John> reason ours is presently set to a 3 second wait.

>> Actually the second argument is the timeout value.  You can normally set
>> this value real low (about 1 second), but with network lag, it might
>> timeout a little often.  (about the same as it would take the
>> nameserver)

John> I started ours at 1 second (extreme paranoia value as I termed
John> it). After a couple days I changed it to 3 and almost doubled the
John> number of userids.

actually, i'm thinking about working on a master/slave process handler, one
as the server, and one as the connection handler.  in effect the master
process would accept all signals and spawn off the server.  it brings up
some elements of potential with crash handling.

d.
--
``we decided to make it female so it would be more docile and controllable.''
``well, i guess you guys don't get out much do you?''