Re: relatively simple hack to lookup login-names

From: Pink Floyd (floyd@south.mit.edu)
Date: 12/18/95

   On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Pink Floyd wrote:

   >      idname = ident_id (desc, 5);	/* this attempts to get the username */
   >
   > Just curious, will this statement bring the mud to a halt until it has
   > connected to the remote host and acquired the username?
   > If so, this is another example of a great way to apply the generic events
   > queue, in combination with a fork'd process, to prevent that lag. (Just fork
   > the ident_id thing and have the queue check every, say, 1 second, until it
   > gets a return value of some kind.  Meanwhile, the game proceeds uninterrupted!)

   Yes, but how do you get data from your forked child? The only things I
   see are shared memory, via sockets (child binds a port... seems rather
   silly tho) and files. So how do you do it?

   And how do you use shared mem?

Well, I hadn't really thought about it, but surely there is a way.  Perhaps
you could modify the environment...?  Or, if you don't have some way to
share memory (maybe by compiling the fork'd process into a shared object)
then in worst case scenario, have the mud allocate the necessary memory and
pass a pointer to the fork?  Would that work?  Are the values of pointers
absolute memory addresses or relative to the program they are in?
There is apparently a way to pass information from a daemon to the server,
I wonder how that is done.